Thinking Maps 2.0

Okay, I realize thinking maps aren't new BUT I can't say enough great things about them! They help students brainstorm, sort information, sequence steps and events, map out cause and effect, see relationships between a variety of concepts, and so much more! If you aren't terribly familiar with thinking maps, you can look into them here, but basically there are 8 different maps that help students plan and organize.

While I LOVE using thinking maps with my students, I realized that not all students are able to draw them out independently. In theory, thinking maps should be used by students independently, meaning that when they have a deep understanding of the different types of maps (ie. a tree map is used to organize information, a circle map is used to brainstorm, etc.), students should be able to identify what kind of map is needed and draw it on their own. When I was teaching 3rd grade, this worked SO WELL. I modeled a task, then students were able to choose the appropriate map for a similar task, draw it, and complete it independently. Then last year, I switched to 1st grade. And you know what? It. was. hard. Was every 1st grader able to identify what map to use? Not even close. Was every 1st grader able to draw a thinking map independently? A circle map yes, but I had MANY students who were frustrated by the idea of drawing squares for flow maps. My solution? Pre-made templates to scaffold student learning and remove the frustrational component, especially for my students with significant developmental delays. Worked. like. a. CHARM. Sometimes, you gotta break the rules a little.

The link for the Primary Thinking Map Templates can be found here for $3. Or you can find the templates here for free! 

Comments